Organic food is not some new health food fad.... in fact as Marco says "its just the opposite!". Organic food is the original food and has been around since life began...."before man started messing with it".
Its real food the way real food should be - "straight from mother earth". Organic means its healthy, pure and wholesome, with nothing artificial added to it. And the good news is that healthy does not have mean boring and tasteless..... in fact as Marco says "its just the opposite!" Organic food is actually and naturally tastier .... sweeter, crisper, less fatty.
So what makes organic different? Organic fruit, grains ;and vegetables are grown in soil that is fertilised naturally - with compost, mulch and what chickens produce when not laying eggs.
Chemicals and pesticides are not allowed anywhere near organically grown produce.
Organic meat has no artificial additives, (like the antibiotics which are currently having such an impact on westerners' immune systems) and comes from free range livestock fed on natural unadulterated fodder.
At Marco's we take the healthy wholesome food concept very seriously because not only is it good for health, "its good for business!". Its the reason we're the the winners of Perth's best pizza and why people have been coming back for more since 1976.
The Marco's philosophy starts with the pizza bases. We use filtered water and organic flour. Mozzerella cheese is and always has been our "cheese of choice". The salsa and toppings are the best available, generously applied "so you really do get the flavor and toppings you asked for".
Top 10 Reasons to Eat Sourdough Bread
Just about everyone has an affinity for some kind of pizza or bread, and most of us have heard of a reason or two why we maybe shouldn’t eat slice after slice of it. While there is some validity to the bread-bashing, sourdough made from your own unique starter of wild yeast and bacteria defies the negativity, and it does so purely by its nature. The crafting of San Francisco sourdough is a secret art, and one of which we’re pretty fond–for a few (or 10) reasons.
- 1. Sourdough (especially combined with Organic flour) often has a lower glycemic index than that of other breads–meaning, it doesn’t spike blood sugar as dramatically. This is because it depletes damaged starches within it, simply by its fermentative nature
- 2. Sourdough pizza bread contains the bacteria Lactobacillus in a higher proportion to yeast than do other doughs. More Lactobacillus means higher production of lactic acid, which means less of the potentially dangerous phytic acid. And what does that mean? More mineral availability and easier digestion!
- 3. Easier digestion is made even more possible by the bacteria-yeast combo working to predigest the starches in the grains. Predigestion by sourdough = less digestion for you.
- 4. Sourdough preparation is more lengthy (soaking, rinsing, etc.), and this longer prep time results in the protein gluten being broken down into amino acids. Again, this translates to easier and more pleasant digestion, sometimes even for those who are sensitive to gluten.
- 5. Acetic acid–which inhibits the growth of mold, is produced in the making of sourdough. So, sourdough naturally preserves itself. Pretty neat considering the toxic preservatives thrown into the food supply today.
- 6. The fermentation process increases the content of beneficial bacteria in the bread AND the gut. Healthy gut bacteria = happy body.
- 7. Additionally, these bacteria control yeast population in the gut, so yeast overgrowth and infection is less likely to occur.
- 8. The integrity of sourdough is so complex that it contains a host of goodness in terms of nutrients. In sourdough, you can find vitamins B1-B6, B12, folate, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin E, selenium, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium (okay – some of these in fairly tiny amounts)–in addition to uniquely balanced proteins and fatty acids. Whoa! This is in contrast to most commercially produced breads, which maintain only a fraction of their original nutrient content after all the processing they undergo.
- 9. Sourdough (organic pizza base) made with wild yeast, bacteria, and whole grain flour is the oldest and most original form of leavened pizza dough. It truly is an ancient art that is crafted in harmony with nature. It’s only natural that we eat it as opposed to other pizza crusts.
- 10. Sourdough bread is typically made from wheat. The inulin and oligosaccharides contained in human milk, chicory, Jerusalem artichoke, burdock root, asparagus, garlic, onion, leek, banana, wheat, barley and rye (gluten containing grains) are excellent sources of fuel for good bacteria in the gut (aka prebiotics).
Another good reason is the FLAVOR. Tangy and distinctive, it will undoubtedly leave you wanting another bite. What a great reason to eat a healthier Organic Sourdough Pizza from Marcos ? TRY THE TASTE TEST!!!